- The first book was self-published in May 2011 and was approximately 25,000 words (152 pages)
- The first book is out of print and only available from used book sellers who are charging an exorbitant amount of money. Please don’t go into debt to buy the book 🙂
- The first book told our story and focused only on how to pay for adoption.
- The new book is being released by a “real” publisher – Abingdon Press. (January 6, 2015)
- The new book title is slightly different because the old version can never really “go away” from Amazon. It is now titled “You Can Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost of Adoption”
- Abingdon wanted the book to be a “all-encompassing” adoption book that someone at the “I’m thinking about adopting” stage could pick up and it would cover A-Z
- So, the new book is over 65,000 words (approx. 225 pages)
- It includes 5 new chapters in the beginning that cover the different types of adoption, pros and cons of each, overview of the process and steps of each, etc. There are a couple new chapters in the last half of the book as well.
- Tons of new fundraising ideas and stories of other families who’ve adopted debt-free.
- Information on the adoption tax credit.
- …and lots more.
Yesterday I had the privilege of being on the “Connecting Faith” program with Neil Stavem on KTIS-Faith900 in the Minneapolis/Upper Midwest area. Over the course of an hour we talked about adoption, how as the church we can support one another, and how families can adopt without going into debt.
If you want to catch the interview, it’s archived here.
Every time I get the chance to talk I just thank God for the privilege and pray that it will be an encouragement to someone.
Thanks Neil for the opportunity to share!
Oh my goodness. What a crazy fun experience! I had an absolute blast and I’m sure it will rank right up there as a life highlight for quite some time.
Ten minutes goes SUPER fast. There was so much more I could have said, and wanted to say, but I was really happy with what we talked about. I guess the rest is just good blog posts for the next week right?
So apparently the 450 radio stations that cover Dave have the ability to “mix up” his hours and it could air over the next 48 hours. So if you’re trying to catch me on a local station I can’t tell you when I’ll be on.
So instead you can just listen here. I’d love to hear what you think. Do you have questions I didn’t address? If so, ask them in the comments and I’ll do some Q&A posts this week.
Dave’s intro cracked me up!
Okay, I just listened to the whole thing and I do have to say this. If your adoption is costing $30,000 that’s STILL not an excuse to go into debt. I know families who have raised that much and done it debt-free!!!
We stepped out in faith and God provided BIG time!
A sweet Twitter follower, Stacy Kennedy, lives in Brentwood, Tenn. and she went down to the DR offices and took 2 photos for me while the interview was happening.
Look, it’s Dave…talking to ME! With my book sitting in front of him.
And my name, “in lights”, check out the computer monitor, right above the clock where it has my name in the green highlight bar 🙂